Recipe for Chicken and Dumplings
- 1 whole broiler/roaster or chicken pieces of choice (I used a large package each of breast and thighs)
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 quart water
- 1 large potato, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 bunch bok choy, washed and halved
- 3 ribs of celery, cut in half
- 2 carrots, cut in half
- 1 onion, sliced in quarters
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- Dash of dried sage
- 1 bay leaf
- Homemade dumplings or frozen
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour
Season the chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder and roast in a 375 degree F. oven until done. Remove and let cool.
Meanwhile, add the chicken stock and water to a large dutch oven or stockpot along with everything else but the last three listings. Bring to a boil and simmer on low for about an hour.
Remove skin and bones from the chicken and place bones into the stockpot, cover and simmer another hour or so. Tear the chicken meat into bite size pieces and put aside.
Strain the solids from the broth using a fine mesh colander or strainer and return broth to the stockpot. Taste the broth and add salt if needed. Return to a steady boil.
Add the dumplings to the simmering broth, one at a time and simmer on low until dumplings are done, 30 to 45 minutes. Stir the bottom every so often to prevent sticking.
Mix the milk and flour together and slowly stir into the pot. Add the chicken and bring back to a gentle simmer. Stir until thickened. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
Serve with hot biscuits or cornbread.
Chicken and Dumplings Photos
by Pak101.com (few years ago!) / 300 views